Thursday, September 01, 2005

Whew...

The Big Project: I was just looking in my tga folder of renders and it looks like the first frame began rendering on the 23rd. I compiled my individual frames and of course needed to work in some last minute edits, burned a full sized DVD and compressed CD and snail mailed them out for approval today. Whew. I'm finished (I hope). Just keep your fingers crossed for me that I don't have to go back in to make any requested changes after the disk is viewed. If I get the approval all I would have to do is throw on some copyright frames.............
Animation purge: I did encounter a strange phenomena during a couple of my "after render" edits. There were two places where I wanted to move my model into a better position inside of Max, so I went back in, made the changes and re-rendered those frames over that original time sequence. I then rendered the tgas out of Combustion. The first edit, had a couple of frames (2) that appeared to flash darker than the originals but I was able to work around it. However, the second edit, had the same dark flash over the entire new sequence (not just 2 frames) - to make sure it wasn't a Combustion issue I pulled them all into Vegas, and sure enough the sequence was dark in there too. So I went back into Max, into the original scene (not my newly modified and re-named scene) animated my object and tried to render them from there, same problem. I started getting worried that it might be my original material that I have applied to the models in Max, but it can't be if the large first sequence came out right and then just one part from the same scene came out with a darkening flash in it (the only thing I changed was the model, not the material). I also wondered if the shading on the model had changed with my new position of my second model in the scene, so I was careful to render out before that was introduced and after it left, but it stayed the same. Out of desperation I also tried using the Discreet color corrector in Combustion on the dark flash frames, but it never matched up with the original. So on that edit, I had to settle and keep the original motion as it is better than color distortion - I never did figure it out.
But lest we not forget, I am done rendering! Now I wait..........to find out for sure.

P.S. I did make a funny little baby animation the other day.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I dunno if you can roll it into your fees, but I just used these guys and man it was sweet:

www.respower.com

e.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

That is a website that I have visited, and filled out the guesstimation quota, but as you suggest, the roll was too high. Sounds like you had a good experience, exactly how did it work?

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So as hands off as the site can be, the staff are only a phone call away, and in my experience they were very forgiving of 'glitches' like you describe in your blog. you only pay for the completed frames...also, it ended up costing a thousand less than the estimate...you can buy in bulk to get that even lower...That being said, my project when like this:

+sign up
+give credit card # (they charge on it and credit it back to make sure you've got a working card)
+Go thru the online manuals- I did the thing where you set up a virtual Y: drive, and then save your project there, remaping txtures to match.
+Get the ftp set up- the online manuals are great for this too. there's even one specifically for max.
+go to the Render wizard page, and put in the info specific to the job (you can do a free 20frames, you're billed, but you send in an email with the render job number and do not charge in the subject, and it's credited back)

That's pretty much it- I'm looking into pre-buying a very large # of hours, and just having it available whenever I need it...

the project was for an animation of this image:

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2005/photorelease/q3/pr_050831g.html

e.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Thank you for that walk through. I like the room for error factor. And thousands less, that would be nice!
That's a beautiful image - is the animation available for download?

1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks~ I so seldom get any of my work out in the public eye...there's some more stuff here that I haven't had a chance to check out yet...

http://www.newairplane.com/

e.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Oh yes, I spied some 3D animation under the fun/video section and some flash interactive simulations at the "Going the distance" pages. Are you here at the Washington Boeing, somewhere else, or contracted? I know that the Boeing folks here in Washington took one of the Puget Sound Center classes that I took.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in the area...I work for this company:

www.teague.com

We're downtown Seattle, and up in Everett on the Boeing campus. I work in Everett...

Quite sometime ago I went to a lighting class @ PSC- Don't remember ya though- room fulla men...


e.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

I took 3DS Max 5 Fundamentals, Character Studio and Combustion, and a common feature, I was the only girl. I took a look at the website, it's very attractive, nice clean images.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, they finally updated the site after years of languishing (can't really bitch too much, my site could use a serious housecleaning) I pretty much like the new teague side, although it's very linear...

e.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

I know what you mean. I need to restructure some of the pages at my site.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home