Sunday, August 19, 2007

My first festival submissions ~ Sundance


I submitted my very first entries into the 2008 Sundance Film Festival. First I'll provide a little background on Sundance. The Sundance film festival is the largest independent and pre eminent film festival in the US, famous for discovering the new and independent work of international film artists. You may have watched the associated Sundance network television channel which has a reputation for programming cutting edge movies and shorts.

Neither of my submissions are brand new, I've probably already shared them with you. My first entry is the 7 minute "Odyssey" fractal animation set to Mozart. http://www.nanogirl.com/personal/odyssey.htm I entered it in the US Short Film (experimental) category.
My second entry is the ode to my sister Julie, "The Gift" which I entered into the US Short film (narrative) category.
http://www.nanogirl.com/personal/thegift.htm

I feel Odyssey may be my best chance. Granted, this festival is the super duper big leagues (the name alone comes from the role Robert Redford played in the movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". I'm being realistic about this, so I know that my chances are most likely slim (or lower - at least at this moment in time), still you never know if you don't try.

They don't communicate with you to tell you they received your submission but they did say you could include a self addressed postcard that would come back to me in 4 weeks. I used an Escher postcard for each and wrote "we got your flick" on the message section. As for finding out if the entries will screen I think they contact by email and/or phone.

The process itself has been a learning experience for me, how to go about it, what forms to fill out, the deadlines, the categories etc. We were also required to make a (movie - not data) DVD in the tall retail sized cases, so I made my own cover art to fit. I used images from my animations to make the cover for each one. You can see pictures of my DVD's in the above photo. They suggested that we make back up copies onto vhs tapes in case our DVD's failed to play for some reason. I called the camera shops and while they can transfer DVD to vhs, they send it out for three weeks, well that would have been past my deadline (which was the 20th for my particular early entry fee). Some how I found out that I could play my DVD on my television set and record it with the vhs at the same time. The quality isn't that great, but that's why it's a back up. So there was a lot to learn in all of this preparation.

In the future I will have longer and more content controlled work that could be higher qualified candidates for submission and submitting these two shorts, has educated me so that the next time might not be as confusing as if I entered cold. Seems like I am always doing something for the first time, but I feel good about that. It feels like growing. I'd like to thank my friends, my Mom and Jim for always supporting me in growth! Best wishes,

The Sundance Institute
http://www2.sundance.org/

2008 Sundance Film Festival
http://festival.sundance.org/

Last years festival
http://festival.sundance.org/2007/index.aspx

Sundance television network
http://www.sundancechannel.com/home/

9 Comments:

Blogger turquoise cro said...

Woot! YOU never know til YOU try!!! I watched your Odyssey(it reminded me of a giant klaidescope!!! COOL!) this morning in the weeeeeeeeeeeeee hours and I just LOVE "The Gift!" GOOD LUCK!! Gina!!! Has anyone called YOU Gina Bina??? lol We call my Gina that! (((Gina)))

2:56 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Thank you turquoise cro. I'm so glad you enjoyed watching them I like your take on it. "Gina bo bina" when I was little by my best friend, but she stopped saying it many years ago!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Mod and Mint said...

Oh how exciting for you!
Proud of you already. Let them know you're out there!
I wish you well and hope for the best! You go girl.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Awww, thanks ismoyo - you are such a warm hearted person. You are so kind and supportive, I really appreciate it!

3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the Heinz one best.Characters being cartoon creatures made me less critical than of the people characters, who seemed unlifelike. Only comment I'd make is that the placement of pink bow blocks the stunning effect of that tongue licking the Heinz. If you placed bow on the left side, that would free up the tongue, which I thought was great.
Keep up the interesting work, Gina!

11:29 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Thanks Ethel, it's always nice to have feedback. It was so nice last night, when we were all together watching earth's shadow cast itself over the moon during the eclipse.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Peta said...

Good luck Gina, I hope you do well :)

4:20 PM  
Blogger weirdbunny said...

That was such a touching animation !

4:32 PM  
Blogger xxxxx said...

Wishing you the best of luck with these!

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home