Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Ever present flash

I came to realize that I sent the disks out for approval when they are on vacation! However, I am happy to have them returned to me because now I could take the time to try and figure out what the flash I mentioned in my last post, is all about. I ran a lot of experimental renders and after many, I discovered when it is happening, although, not why. The shift occurs only after a reboot and a continuation of the rendering sequence. The slight color shift, does not happen if I start rendering, stop rendering while leaving Max open (my system on), and then returning to the render. Only after a shut down. It starts with the very first frame I render and stays with the sequence. These were all rendered in tgas, so I decided to re-render out to pngs instead. So far I have had good results (currently at frame 1300), with no flashing even after reboots. I've been on the boards and there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to why rendering to pngs would solve my problem. But, "if it ain't broke...". With the new png renders I made sure to store my Max file in the same file as the pngs, I also am not re-saving my file after I type in the frames to be rendered from the render dialog. I don't know if this has an impact, but if by some odd reason Max is pre-calculating anything, this could prevent that. I was sort of a disappointed perfectionistic mess yesterday, but things are looking a little bit more optimistic today. We'll see it how it goes, over the next 4 thousand frames.
*
In the middle of this latest adventure I amused myself by creating a 2d comic strip called "Golly" . I hope it amuses you!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get 'odd' results w/ targas out of max...it seems to get worse w/ each release. I use a lot of .tiffs w/ alpha.

e.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

I'm glad you said that because no one else had. I just dealt with this problem again last night. I left my computer to render while I was sleeping and woke up to the flash. Today I have it rendering over those incorrect frames and it seems to be working (no flash yet). But I have no idea why since I did nothing different in this new render compared to the one last night. This was a problem that I thought was due to rendering to tga's but this current version is png... up til now png had given me no problems. Of course it decides to happen on the biggest batch of renders so far! So I'm just left scratching my head and hoping that I can last through the last 900 or so frames. I'm wondering if it just calculates differently sometimes?

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm. this sounds pretty unusual:

Is it a project where I could see A 'flashing' animation?

Can you reliably replicate the flashing in any file, or does it only happen (I understand randomly) in all files?

Are you using straight scanline w/no effects or environments?

e.

ps. I'm on vacaction so my replies are not too quick...you could email me at eric@humanape.com if you want me to look at something...

8:01 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

It's scanline default rendering, rendering out with an alpha, no effects, no environment, no lights, flashes at random.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds like something 'special'. Any unusual materials? I can't imagine why that should be happening...you may want to grab a new drive and re-build your computer...whenever I get that kind of weirdness it's sometimes quickest to start from scratch.

Does this happen on all files or just this one project?


I believe you said once you have combustion? have you tried rpf's?

e.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

All my materials I have animated in Combustion before introducing them into Max morpher slots. There are no flashes with in my actual materials. I posted an update to this topic tonight.

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home