Thursday, August 03, 2006

I gave an animation talk!






So part of my away time from the blogsphere was not only due to tending to family matters but I also gave my first animation talk to a school of high school age students, it was about an hour long. I had so much fun! They were really excited about animation and asked lots of interesting questions. At the end of my talk I had a table set up with free CD demos of programs and animation magazines, they were all gone in two seconds. Some of the students hung around afterwards to ask questions and look at more of my work. What a wonderful experience. I was a little nervous right before I began but found that it came naturally since I know the content and am passionate about it, I really enjoyed presenting. You know one of the teachers came up to me afterwards and told my mom and I that I am a natural teacher, I didn't expect that. My mom told me that too, but she's biased. I really admire teachers and think that they and scientists/researchers should be the highest paid career tracks, they are our ushers into the future, but that's just my economic opinion.
Here are some photos of my talk and the sweet thank you card that some of the students signed and mailed to me! I will try to modify my power point presentation to make it web ready and upload it so that you can take a look at it some where down the line when I have more time. I had such a good time that I hope to give another talk some time in the future. Click the images to enlarge.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Congrats. Hey, you look good in front of a classroom. And were those Chuck Taylor's you were wearing? :)

A first time but hopefully not a last. Teacher's rock.
A. Hanson

9:06 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Thanks A! Yes they are converse, in cheetah print. I'm also sporting an old school Atari shirt! When I was 17 years old would you have ever thought I'd be doing the things I am now? Big hug to you my dear friend.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it ok for me to say I'm proud of you?
A. Hanson

2:48 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Awww, of course it is! You were such a mentor to me in my youth so it is very nice to hear those words. Thank you!

3:25 PM  
Blogger weirdbunny said...

My son and I think your animation is superb, we are always playing them. I'm sure you were a real inspiration to those kids who think animation is just a dream.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Hi weirdbunny - I'm so glad that you and your son enjoy them, at the end of the day that's what it's all about, knowing that you the viewer are getting something out of it. Inspiration, yes, I sure hope so! At the last frame of my presentation I had a slide called that I called "cheesy philosophical moment" in which I stressed that no one is born with the knowledge, we've got to figure out what we need to learn, go learn it and then we will slowly move forward, with what ever it is we want for our lives. I really let them know that it doesn't matter where we came from or what we know or didn't know, but that if we want to learn, all the tools are out there waiting for us. I've got to tell you I really did feel their genuine interest, in fact the kids that attended the talk were all kids who asked to be there, so this made for a nice audience. It was a really great connection and I truly enjoyed myself.

10:29 PM  
Blogger alaphrench said...

This is totally awesome! High School is such an awesome time for kids to learn about the different things they can do and it's always awesome if someone can go in and show them hands on. Very awesome! :)

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home