Thursday, April 28, 2005

Tablet PC dreams - and my new reality

Okay, so this tablet PC idea has been really burning a hole in my fantasies, well it's about to be a reality. I did a little research and thought I would try the more current version of the Toshiba that the blogger I mentioned in my previous post suggested. I ordered the Toshiba Portege M205-S810 which usually runs about $2000 dollars, which I wasn't willing to pay for a machine that won't be my primary computer, but rather my 2d animation system. So I Googled around and went to some of those comparison shop sites, I ended up at Smarter which had a lot more choices available than some of the other comparison sites. Within the results I saw price ranges from $1399 to $2199, all of the lower price ranges were for refurbished systems, except for one from Big on Digital, so that's the one I ordered. The specs on this machine are not too bad in their own right, it's a Pentium 1.50 GHz, 512MBSDRAM (can go up to 2), 2 2.0 USB's, 60 GB hard drive with a DVD/CD RW. The display is 12.1 (1400 x 1050) and swivels around so you can draw right on the screen, that's the part I am excited about. I'm looking forward to putting Alias Sketchbook Pro (I've never used this program before) on the machine to see how it all works together. The Portege is also wireless, which is great because a couple of weeks ago I set up my machines onto a wireless network. This is going to be a lot of fun, I can't wait to find out what I will be able to do. I will of course share my new experiences as soon as I have some, it's probably going to take a while to get here...

3 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Update - I did not purchase the tablet PC from Bigondigital as they were out of stock. Instead I bought it direct from Tobshiba.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you like it? I am a fan of Alias Sketchbook Pro. I use it constantly for my linework before moving the image over to Photoshop.

I am shopping for a good tablet right now. Thinking about the Fujitsu t4220.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Yes I did!

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home